Baking for Beginners: Moist & Flavorful Banana Cake
Inspired by my SisMars of #LutoNiLaling, I decided to bake this moist and flavorful Banana Cake mainly because I’ve been craving for it after my sexy pretty sismars posted it for orders in AUH. What can you do if it’s impossible to get it delivered here in JLT and you’re drooling over it?😋
Yallah, let’s practice! Let’s bake! 🙂
Serve it plain or pretty! I served it plain to just get all the banana flavors. Also tried frosting it with Vanilla frosting with Dark Chocolate Bits – my attempt of #bananacakeprettified ❤❤❤
- 4 ripe bananas
- 200 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup of DIY buttermilk *
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare your 9″ spring form baking pan by greasing it with butter. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas. Set aside.
- Prepare the dry ingredients. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed until creamy.
- Then add & beat the brown sugar in the butter mixture.
- Add in the eggs in the mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Add the mashed bananas to the butter mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk (meaning I divided the quantity of dry ingredients to be added to the butter mixture into 4 times and alternately adding the buttermilk). Why I did this mainly because I want to properly incorporate the dry ingredients to my wet ingredients so I did not pour all dry ingredients at 1 time. (**As you noted, I used DIY buttermilk because I did not find a buttermilk in the grocery store. So to make a DIY buttermilk, I used 1 tablespoon vinegar poured into the cup and added the whole milk until it reaches 1 1/2 cup measurement).
- When almost done mixing the batter, I set my oven at 170’C and pre-heat. I’m only a beginner in baking and I just use our smart microwave oven at home which has multifunctions of convection, microwave and grilling. Of course, to bake, I need to use the convection setting.
- I continued mixing my batter and once done, I poured it and spread evenly to my greased baking pan.
- I baked it in the preheated oven. Total bake time is 45 minutes.
I allowed my baked goodies to cool down for at least 1 hour before serving. Perfect pair for brewed coffee or tea! 😀
- Butter @ 9AED
- Brown Sugar @ 2.75AED
- All purpose flour @ 3AED
- Bananas @ 7AED
- Eggs @ 1.87AED
- Vanilla extract @ 2.2AED
- Salt @ 1AED
- Baking powder @ 1AED
- Baking soda @ 1AED
- Milk @ 5AED
- Vinegar @ 1AED
Total Approximate Cost of the above raw ingredients — 34.82 AED.
Disclaimer: I tried dividing the cost of the packed ingredients into the actual ingredients used. Example, eggs which are sold at 15pcs per pack at 10 AED, will be counted as 1.87AED as I only used 3 eggs out of that pack.
The above baked cake yields 16 square slices from 9″ square cake pan or 8 triangular slices from a 9″ round springform pan.
Converting it to a small business? Add the cost of your raw ingredients, packaging (box) and cost of your baking labor, then you can decide for the standard retail price. 🙂
By the way, please let me know if you tried the above recipe or tweaked it as per your needs and teach me please how it turned out at your end. 🙂 I’m currently at experimental / discovery mode in the world of baking! 🙂