Baking for Beginners: Oatmeal Cake with Raisins & Chocolate Chips
Thankfully, it’s Eid-Al-Ftr holidays here in Dubai and I’m celebrating this free time by baking a healthier snack treat for my family –> Oatmeal Cake with Raisins & Chocolate Chips. Let’s jump in below the How-To-Bake this fiber-rich & delicious snack.
- 1 & 1/4 cups butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups instant oats
- 2/3 cups raisins
- 2/8 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare your 9″ spring form baking pan by greasing it with butter and lined up with parchment paper (very useful to easily remove the baked treat from the pan later! 😀 ). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the eggs, 1 at a time, in the mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients: oats, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and chocolate chips. I added them 1 by 1 and mixing it right after the other.
- When almost done mixing the batter, I set my oven at 170’C and pre-heat for 10 minutes. I’m only a beginner in baking and I just use our smart microwave oven at home which has multifunctions of convection, microwave and grilling. Of course, to bake, I need to use the convection setting.
- I continued mixing my batter and once done, I poured it and spread evenly to my baking pan.
- I baked it in the preheated oven until I saw the top turned golden brown. Total bake time is 38 minutes.
I allowed my baked goodies to cool down for 1 hour before serving. Perfect pair for brewed coffee or tea! 😀
- Butter @ 9AED
- Brown Sugar @ 2.75AED
- All purpose flour @ 3AED
- Instant oats @ 7AED
- Raisins @ 4.6AED
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips @ 5AED
- Eggs @ 1.33AED
- Vanilla extract @ 2.2AED
- Salt @ 1AED
- Baking powder @ 1AED
- Baking soda @ 1AED
Total Approximate Cost of the above raw ingredients — 37.88 AED.
Disclaimer: I tried dividing the cost of the packed ingredients into the actual ingredients used. Example, eggs which are sold at 6pcs per pack at 4 AED, will be counted as 1.33AED as I only used 2 eggs out of that pack.
The above baked cake yields 16 square slices from 9″ square cake pan or 8 triangular slices from a 9″ round springform pan.
Converting it to a small business? Add the cost of your raw ingredients, packaging (box) and cost of your baking labor, then you can decide for the standard retail price. 🙂
By the way, please let me know if you tried the above recipe or tweaked it as per your needs and teach me please how it turned out at your end. 🙂 I’m currently at experimental / discovery mode in the world of baking! 🙂